England Cricket Board to work closely with government to resume cricket in England

The situation of the United Kingdom isn’t a hidden story anymore. It has been a known fact worldwide that Britain has lost a greater number of lives than any other European country to the COVID 19 pandemic. The threat of COVID 19 has not been neutralised yet and the novel coronavirus triggered national lockdowns continue to be enforced. 

While the threat of this malignant novel coronavirus still lurks, there is growing pressure on Boris Johnson, the Prime Minister of Britain, to ease the novel coronavirus triggered orders to stay at home that had been enforced in late March. However, Britain’s Prime Minister Boris Johnson, realising the gravity of the situation, has announced an extension of the lockdown in the country till the 1st of June at least. 

As the lockdown in Britain has been extended further, the England and Wales Cricket Board said that the cricket body has been working closely along with the government to resume cricket securely. 

“ECB is aware of the government’s announcement pertaining to the next steps of this crisis and we will continue to be led by their advice. While our recommendation to suspend all forms of recreational cricket remains in place at present, everyone across the sport is hoping that we will see cricket played across England and Wales this summer.”, said the England and Wales Cricket Board in an official statement.

“We are working closely with the government to establish when and how it will be safe to resume play, and we look forward to sharing our plans as they progress.”, further added ECB.

Currently all sporting actions have been ceased worldwide due to the COVID 19 pandemic. A two match Test Series was scheduled to be played by England against Sri Lanka in the month of March this year. However, it had been postponed due to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus.

“If we, as a nation, begin to fulfil the conditions I have set out, then in the next few weeks and months, we may be able to go further. At the earliest by June 1, after half term, we believe we may be in a position to begin the phased re-opening of shops and to get primary pupils back into school.”, said Prime Minister Boris Johnson during his address to the nation on Sunday, the 10th of May.

“It would be madness now to throw away that achievement by allowing a second spike…we must stay alert. We must continue to control the virus and save lives.”, further added Johnson.

leave a comment

Create Account



Log In Your Account